Creative Learning outside the Classroom
Services provided by West Lancashire Borough Council Arts Service and Chapel Gallery:
• Self guided visits
• Guided visits
• Skill based workshops
• Theme based workshops
• INSET for teachers
“Excellent curriculum links and organisation of the day. Very well presented. We have had a wonderful day. Thank You!” St Anne’s RC Primary School.
"Well-run, clear, well-organised, good interaction with the children. Artist really positive. Excellent trip as always!” St Stevens, C of E Primary School.
• Download Education Provision.pdf
What we are about...
The Chapel Gallery provides a varied exhibition programme that is an excellent educational resource, which offers a great experience for learning outside the classroom.
Exhibitions can be used for first hand observation and stimulus resource, which in turn can provide a springboard for those wishing to pursue their knowledge and understanding beyond the gallery environment. Practical workshops provide young people and staff with the opportunity to learn from professional artists, developing skills and techniques that can then be utilised in the classroom environment.
All workshops can be planned for EYFS, Key Stages 1 – 4, post 16 and post 18.
- Self-guided visit: Devise your own tour around the current exhibition, using the gallery space to discuss artwork and
- Guided visit: The tour will be lead by a member of staff and will focus on pieces from the exhibition, developing a dialogue to encourage critical analysis of the artwork.
- Skills based workshops: These workshops will be facilitated by a professional artist and will focus on a choice of:
• Colour – painting, collage, etc
• 3D – clay, mod roc, etc
• Printing – monoprints, etc
• Drawing – line drawing, sketching, etc
• Art in a suitcase – ways to evaluate artwork, giving the students skills to respond to and make a critical analysis of artwork.
- Theme based workshops: These are planned in conjunction with the school and can be based on curriculum themes e.g. Ancient Greeks. They offer imaginative ideas to make curriculum links and include visual art, music, dance and drama. Schools must specify when booking which art form they would like to book.
We will continue with our workshops inspired by our current exhibitions on request.
Workshops run termly Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (at the Chapel Gallery). Other dates are available if workshops are
booked at school.
Booking workshops and any tours must be done at least one month prior to the workshop date required.
To book, download Workshop/Tour Booking Form.pdf
Then contact the gallery to discuss availability of dates.
T: 01695 571328 or E: email@example.com
Contact gallery to book Self-guided and Guided tours.
Maximum numbers for all workshops is 36, except for self-guided visits where adult pupil ratio applies. Self-guided visits need to be booked in advance so numbers can be controlled for health and safety reasons.
Full day 10am - 3pm
Half Day 10am - 12 noon or 1pm - 3pm
Times can be changed slightly to coincide with school opening times and travel times.
Lunch can vary from 30 minutes to ¾ hour for full day sessions depending on your school request.
- Self guided tour: No cost,but these sessions need to be booked in advance.
- Guided tour: Between £20.00 and £50.00 depending on planning and numbers in the group.
- Facilitated workshops at the Chapel Gallery
Half-day £170.00 (£150.00 for schools in West Lancashire).
Full day £250.00 (£220.00 for schools in West Lancashire).
Support Adults Free.
- Facilitated workshops at school
– Half-day min cost £200.00 (£180.00 for schools in West Lancashire)
- Full Day £270.00 (£250.00 for schools in West Lancashire)
materials are included unless specialised materials need to be bought.
After the Workshop
• Download, complete and return the Evaluation Form
You will be contacted by gallery staff to confirm your Booking. If you do not hear from the gallery DO NOT consider the workshop confirmed. We may not have received your Booking Form. Please contact us to follow up.
Jenni Ashcroft, Outreach & Education Officer
Chapel Gallery, St Helens Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire, L39 4QR
T: 01695 571328